Date: 18th century
Material: Gilt silver
Dimensions (cm): H 28,8 x D 14
Provenance: Guimarães, Colegiada de Nossa Senhora da Oliveira
Inventory No.: MAS O 9
This chalice of Italian inspiration presents common characteristics with two other chalices form the collection of the Museum (MAS O8 and MAS O 154), namely their height, the stem and the knop of triangular structure, the tulip-shaped cup and a decorative repertoire that includes scrolls, acanthus leaves, cherubim and Eucharistic symbols: the phoenix, the bunch of grapes, the Pascal Lamb, the eagle and the pelican.
The Portuguese silverware renovated, in the decades of 1720 – 1730, its models and ornamental forms, due to the action of Dom João V, whose reign was marked by the abundance of gold coming from Brazil. This period was characterized by the openness to foreign countries, which allowed the contact with and the knowledge of the models of the Italian silverware.