Museum opening hours: Temporariamente encerrado para obras de requalificação

Chapter Room

Chapter Room

On the east wing of the cloister, there is the original Chapter Room, with thick granite walls marked with symbols, which date from the 13th century.

The access to this room, an important and common space in any convent or monastery, is via a portal in a Moorish arch, of fine and regular voussoirs. This arch rests on columns with Romanesque capitals decorated with quadrupeds guardant devouring a prey. Two twinned windows, also with Arabic arches, whose date is extremely uncertain, flank the door. Although initially considered a remnant of the primitive monastery of Mumadona, the most recent theories (namely the one defended by Ferreira de Almeida) date it from the 13th century.

Inside, one can see a ceiling with panels and painted in the grotesque manner, executed in tempera.

This ceiling is formed by forty wooden framed panels. On one of the panels of the central row, there’s the depiction of the papal tiara, over crossed keys, and on the following the date of 1709, elements that refer to the time when the room was the main chapel of the Irmandade de S. Pedro of the town’s clergymen.

This room also housed the school of the Collegiate Church, where the Schoolmaster taught grammar and plainsong to the choirboys. The Collegiate Church had kept a school since the 13th century and the position of Schoolmaster was a very prestigious one.

Nowadays, this room is used to house temporary exhibitions.

Temporary ehibition of tapestries in the Chapter Room
General view of the Chapter Room
Chapter Room. View of the interior, with de doors of the portal open